Thursday, September 1, 2011

To Speak or Not to Speak?

It has recently come to my attention that my 18 month old should be starting to say a little more than "mama", "hi", "wow", "die" (which in Danny language means Daddy) and "uh oh".
Danny however much prefers to scream like someone is attempting to murder him. I have attempted everything short of swatting him with a rolled up newspaper in his snout to get him to stop. The noise he produces is painful and agonizing and he won't stop! God help me I can't make it stop!

I was talking with a co-worker who happens to have several grown children and grandchildren and she looked at me square in the face, chuckled and said "Why should he talk? He doesn't have to." It was then that I realized that she was completely correct. Daniel does not have to talk because EVERYONE in our house (and that's almost a baseball team) speaks for him. Why would he ever need to say anything when between his parents and siblings he just has to make a noise and he gets what he needs. Of course that also means his noises must be LOUD because everyone is always talking in our house. I have raised a household of talkers...imagine that!

Saying "hi" is funny and cute because it makes everyone laugh and pay attention and saying "wow" (sort of like (WOOAAAAHHH) is really great and everyone laughs hysterically. Why should he ever say anything else?

 I was completely convinced that he does not understand the english language (oh, and by the way screw sign language...he is the one kid that looks at me all like "whatever mom you look like a moron with all that hand shit you're doing).
I was totally wrong, he understands perfectly. Like when I say "Daniel please get your baby and bring it to Daddy (die)" HE DOES IT! So I try more "Daniel please get mommy your fire truck and show me the ladder" and HE DOES IT!!!! This little man knows exactly what words mean and how to follow directions, even those with several steps and he is CHOOSING not to talk to us! I have never had a child who doesn't love to talk. I am so confused and besides who wouldn't want to talk to me?

I guess I'll just chalk it up to the fact that he really is his father's son. Dan really doesn't talk much either (it's the whole opposites attract stuff). I guess we will see on his first day of Kindergarten if he screams at his teacher or simply says "hi" and expects her to start laughing hysterically in complete adoration. Oh boy! It's gonna be a long road.

All I can say is "WOW"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs
Elements by Designs by Krista


Perez Party of Eight

Daniel

Daniel
The final addition

Nick

Nick
The Monster Man

Libby

Libby
The mischevious one

Morgan

Morgan
The story teller

Tori

Tori
The sensitive one

Maryah - The Champ

Maryah - The Champ
My amazing and beautiful daughter who I will miss every moment for the rest of my life

Wedded Bliss

Wedded Bliss
The wedding of my dreams to the man who lights my heart on fire every single day!

The Family

The Family
Perez Party of Eight